By Lynne Ide
Starting on February 18, Congress will be in recess for a week. Connecticut’s five U.S. Representatives and two U.S. Senators will be back in state and hitting the road to talk with constituents.
If you care about health care – whether it be the Affordable Care Act (ACA or Obamacare), Medicare, Medicaid/HUSKY or women’s health programs – you should know that each of these important programs are subject to elimination or drastic change if the new leadership in Washington, D.C. has its way.
Next week is a good time for you to let your voice be heard.
Tell your U.S. Representative and your two U.S. Senators what health care means to you.
Connecticut’s Congressional delegation is supportive of the health care programs we all count on. They are already working to protect our care, but they need us to stand with them.
They want to know your story because it will help them fight protect our care.
- Have you or a loved one benefitted from the Affordable Care Act, Medicare, Medicaid/HUSKY or women’s health programs? How has it helped you, and what would it mean if you lost that care?
- Are you spending too much for prescription drugs, health insurance premiums, co-pays and deductibles? How can Congress help people like you get the care you need at a cost you can afford?
Here are events that we know of scheduled for next week:
(Note: Details are still being worked out for some of these events. We will update this list on our blog as we get information from Congressional offices.)
- The Future of Healthcare in American: A Forum on the Affordable Care Act with U.S. Representative Joe Courtney (2nd Congressional District) Saturday, February 18 12:30 – 2 p.m. at Generations Family Health Center, 40 Mansfield Avenue, Willimantic
- Town Hall Meeting with U.S. Representative Jim Himes (4th Congressional District) Wednesday, February 22 6:30 p.m. at Bridgeport City Hall, 45 Lyon Terrace, Bridgeport
- Press Conference re: Economics of ACA Repeal with U.S. Representative Rosa DeLauro (3rd Congressional District) highlighting tax breaks for the wealthy if the Affordable Care Act is repealed – Friday, February 24 10:30 a.m. at Connecticut State Medical Society, 127 Washington Avenue (East Building, 3rd floor), North Haven
- Event with U.S. Representative John Larson (1st Congressional District) – Saturday, February 18 10:00 a.m. – noon at the Berlin Senior Center, 33 Colonial Drive, Berlin
- Event with U.S. Representative Elizabeth Esty (5th Congressional District) – No health care event in scheduled in the 5th CD
- Town Hall Meeting with U.S. Senator Chris Murphy Tuesday, February 21 7:30 p.m. at West Hartford Town Hall Auditorium, 50 South Main Street, West Hartford
- General Town Hall Meeting with U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal, Saturday February 25 1:30 p.m. at Wilbur Cross High School, New Haven and Sunday, February 26 1:00 p.m. at Central Connecticut State University, New Britain
You can also call your Congressperson and U.S. Senators directly:
- U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal: 860-258-6940
- U.S. Senator Chris Murphy: 860-549-8463
- U.S. Rep. John Larson (1st CD): 860-278-8888
- U.S. Rep. Joe Courtney (2nd CD): 860-886-0139
- U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro (3rd CD): 203-562-3718
- U.S. Rep. Jim Himes (4th CD): 203-333-6600
- U.S. Rep. Elizabeth Esty (5th CD): 860-223-8412
There will be lots of opportunity for your advocacy and action in the coming months. Please let us know if you want to be notified about upcoming events and let us know if there is a particular health care program you’d like to help defend. Contact us at: email@example.com