By Rosana Garcia
We’ve talked about the work the state’s Health Care Cabinet is doing to contain health care costs in the state (see our blogs on it here) – now it’s your opportunity to speak up.
The Cabinet met Tuesday (read an article about that meeting here) and decided on a draft of recommendations, which are now open for public comment. The finalized recommendations will be set in December, then sent to the legislature for possible action.
The Cabinet recommendations focus mostly on measures for state-funded health care cost containment. This is also an opportunity, though, to address rising costs for everyone in the state, including those on the private insurance market.
Too many people are struggling to pay for health care. Every day people…
- can’t afford the prescription drugs they need.
- decide not to see a doctor because their co-pay or deductible is too high.
- choose between paying household bills and a health insurance premium.
Affordability of health care for every day people is a real challenge in this state. While the Cabinet’s draft recommendations are a first step to address the high cost of health care in the state, we need to ensure that all people are at the center of change.
On November 15th the Cabinet will hold a public hearing on the drafted recommendations. Want to speak up? Here are all the details:
- Date: Tuesday, November 15th
- Sign up to speak begins: 8:30am
- Meeting time: 9am to 11:30am
- Location: Legislative Office Building, Room 1D, in Hartford
- Comments limited to three minutes per person
Can’t attend? Want to submit written comment?
- Written comments are welcome
- Deadline for written comments: Tuesday, November 15th at 4:30pm
- Email written comments to: email@example.com
- Comments will be posted to the Cabinet website and distributed to Cabinet members
Helpful links and more info:
Panel endorses strategies to curb health costs, redesign care system (CT Mirror, Arielle Levin Becker, November 2, 2016)
Public hearing announcement from the Health Care Cabinet website:
Public Act 15-146 charged the Healthcare Cabinet with making recommendations on cost containment strategies. The requirements of Public Act 15-146 are available here. The November 15, 2016 meeting of the Healthcare Cabinet will be dedicated to public comment on the Cabinet’s initial recommended strategies for cost containment that will be voted upon on November 1, 2016. (Please check this page for an update following the November 1stmeeting that will include the Cabinet’s initial recommendations.)
There will be sign-up sheets available in the meeting room beginning at 8:30 a.m. Public comment will be limited to three minutes per person. Written comments are also invited and will be accepted until 4:30 p.m. on November 15th. Written comments may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Comments will be shared with the Cabinet membership and posted on the Cabinet’s website shortly after the receipt deadline on November 15th.
Background information on the Cabinet’s work is available at the Cabinet’s website.